No pictures to show
SCHMELTZER WINS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
DORR, MICHIGAN – Unseasonably warm temperatures and little wind greeted 13 shooters who competed in the Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association’s 3-Position Conventional Smallbore State Championship at the South Kent Sportsman’s Club on October 3, 2021. The match consisted of 120 total shots fired from the prone, standing, and kneeling positions at 50 yards. The Michigan resident with the highest aggregate score is declared the State Champion. The top shooters in each position were also recognized. Special awards were given to the top colligate, junior, and woman.
Prone position saw perfect scores of 400 fired by Cameron Zwart (Comstock Park, Michigan) and Timothy Schmeltzer (Greenville, Michigan). Zwart took the advantage 32x to 23x. 15-year-old Emme Walrath (Kenosha, Wisconsin) was third with a score of 399-22x.
Walrath fired 197-9x and 198-9x for a total of 395-18x to lead all competitors in standing. Schmeltzer finished second in standing with 392-13x. Both finished identical in the 2020 version of the match as well. Collin Fox (Dimondale, Michigan) was third in standing with a 383-11x.
In kneeling position Walrath continued her winning ways, dropping only a point each target for a 398-19x total. Zwart was second with a score of 396-13x. Schmeltzer shot a 395-17x, good for third.
The aggregate was won by Walrath in dominate fashion. She tallied a total of 1192-59x with also earned her top rankings in the junior and woman category. Schmeltzer, the top Michigan resident, posted a score of 1187-53, earning his second consecutive State Champion title. Zwart finished a distant third at 1172-51x. Brian Aliventi (Valley Stream, NY), representing the Zips Rifle Club (University of Akron), was the top collegiate at 1172-46x.
There were three team entries in the championship as well. Teams were comprised of four individuals from the same local club or organization. Fox, Schmeltzer, Walrath and Zwart, representing Grand Rapids Rifle & Pistol Club, were first with a score of 4709-201x. A pair of teams from Grand Valley State Rifle & Pistol Club finished second and third.
The Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association would like to thank the South Kent Sportsman’s Club (https://www.sksc.org/) for generously allowing the match to be held at their facility.
Full Individual Results:
1. Emme Walrath Kenosha, WI 1192-59 Match Winner
High Junior/High Woman
2. Timothy Schmeltzer Greenville, MI 1187-53 Michigan State Champion
3. Cameron Zwart Comstock Park, MI 1172-51 High Master
4. Brian Aliventi Valley Stream, NY 1172-46 High Collegiate/High Expert
5. Alexander Straith West Bloomfield, MI 1158-38
6. Collin Fox Dimondale, MI 1158-38
7. David Cantillon Orland Park, MI 1099-19
8. John Martin Holly, MI 1093-17
9. Katheryn Karas Carleton, MI 1088-20
10. Jacob Schorr Grand Rapids, MI 1038-11
11. Tristan Bruizeman West Olive, MI 1032-7
12. Joseph Martin South Bend, IN 877-1
13. Mahmoud Salih Caledonia, MI 818-5
Full Team Results:
1. Grand Rapids Rifle & Pistol Club (Fox, Schmeltzer, Walrath, Zwart) 4709-201
2. Grand Valley State University-Blue (Bruizeman, Karas, Martin, Straith) 4371-70
3. Grand Valley State University-White (Saliah, Schorr, Martin, Cantillon) 3014-31